Intercessions based on John 20 1-2 and 11-18
Let us pray for the church and for the world and let us thank God for his goodness.
1. Your Father and our Father. Your God and our God. Lord, we come alongside you now, with our sisters and brothers around the world. We thank you for our place in your diverse and healing family, for the holy women and men who have helped us see you, for the hope you have given us. Help us and all your church to keep looking for you, keep waiting for you, keep listening to you, and to do as you would have us do. Lord in your mercy hear our prayer.
2. As summer holidays approach we pray for our students and children as they take a break from their studies, for everyone in our congregation who’ll be holidaying away from Bristol, for David, Jo and family as they move to Bristol, and for everyone who’ll be holding the fort by staying here. As we enjoy the possibilities of summer, may we, like Mary, be ready to be surprised, ready to be transformed, ready to hear your instructions, and ready to act. Lord in your mercy hear our prayer.
3. Mary thought you were the gardener. We pray for leaders throughout the world – so many places need good leadership. May all leaders be like gardeners, humble, connected to the earth, celebrating and caring for difference, tending the common good. With you all things are possible. Lord in your mercy hear our prayer.
4. Mary stood outside the tomb crying. Lord we pray for all suffer in body, mind or spirit for those whose lives are turned upside down by grief. In this church we particularly pray for those who have asked for our prayers….
May all who suffer be heard in their pain. May they meet angels, and meet you. May we each find new ways to be as angels, bringing kindness and hope to those in need. Lord in your mercy hear our prayer
5. You said “Do not hold onto me”. We hold up to you those who have died recently…and in the years mind … These people we love but can no longer hold; help us to trust that they are held by you. May they rest in the joy of seeing you. May they rest in peace. Lord in your mercy hear our prayer.
Lord forgive us for all the ways we keep you, and ourselves, in a tomb. Remove the stones from our hearts and minds, transform us for your service, help us to live as new creations, help us to mean this, today this week and always.
Merciful Lord, accept these prayers, for the sake of your son our saviour Jesus Christ, Amen.